Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The "It" List: Clean it


What a refreshing hiatus from the internet! :)

Once upon a time, my married sister Esther was pregnant. And boy, was she pregnant! She lived in a cute little brown house in Fallbrook. And boy, was it messy! In the house, all she could do was sit on her recliner and beg her daughter to stop climbing the walls. Because, boy, was she morning-sick!

I volunteered to come over to keep her company. Of course, I noticed right away how messy everything was. The poor dear was trying to smile, but just looked so nauseated I started to feel sick. I could tell the messy house was making her stressed because her husband was coming home in the evening after a long hard day of construction work—but also, because every girl feels better about the world if things are in order and clean!


So what did I do? Of course, I started cleaning! I made that house spotless—and it was soooo fun! My sister kept saying over and over how happy and indebted she was, and you should have SEEN her husband’s face when he came home to a clean house. And when I got home, I cleaned MY room too!
Well, actually I didn’t. My room was in fact, a mess. I made the “It” list so I would have personal reminders about what’s important for me to do as I get ready to be a homemaker. I realized I don’t have to wait to be a homemaker and home-decorator! I can be one now. I was trying to think of how I could get myself to think of cleaning my room as something other than cleaning doggy-doop off of army-men or scrubbing the stone floor of a troll’s castle with little rats nibbling my toes, when I realized—cleaning my SISTER’S house was amazingly fun! It always seems like when you’re helping other people, that you take your work more seriously. That’s why number one on the “It” list is:

CLEAN IT
Like it’s your pregnant sister’s room

For me, it’s a mind trick. I look at my room and think “Why”? The answer is, it’s going to look beautiful! God wants you to take stewardship of your own things! How fast would you work if this was your pregnant sister’s room?

Then I started to hit roadblocks with my everyday cleaning. Saturday’s our cleaning day. I would clean the house, then move to my room, make my bed, do the laundry and fold it. Last step, I’d pick up the odd things lying around. By then, dinnertime and a required stop to cleaning so we can have family time. Problem? My desk was still a mess. I’d always have something I’d miss! Solution? My friend’s blog. Check this out!!!


Such a joy to read… and her challenges really worked for me!
Another good friend of mine once told me that the reason why I can’t seem to keep my room clean is because “I don’t have a place for things”. That phrase really stuck with me. If there’s a place for a necklace, you’ll put it away in 30 seconds. If there’s no place, you’ll put it away in 2 minutes… or more if you waste time sitting on your bed holding it and wondering where to put it. Organization is the key! And this time before school starts (or even after school starts and the chaos is over) is crucial to getting this done! You’ll have a few Saturdays of a SUPER messy room before you finish, but the end result is SOOO satisfying! When I was cleaning my closet, my sister Esther gave me a crucial word of advice:

“If you won’t use it in the next six months, box it.”

Get yourself cute colorful duct tape from the store and tape all your boxes. Label them with big letters “[My Name]’s Stuff” and then in smaller letters under that, “Soccer gear, winter pillows, etc.” If you find yourself needing what was in the box, out to the garage or shed you go, to your corner. Out comes the box with the correct label! And your room thanks you.

Check out my friend’s blog for an easy way to organize the closet!

Perhaps your room is already clean… but a lot of these principles apply for the daily cleanup as well!
Ok… Why should we clean our rooms? What is our daily motivation?

Check out various verses from Proverbs 31! A lot of the things that we COULD do if our rooms were clean we CAN do if they are. Our family would respect us more if our rooms were clean. If we were organized (which cleaning our rooms would make us), other people would see this and respect us. They might even ask us our motivation! Perhaps another girl might make you her role model… and you would be encouraging a young lady to be a Godly homemaker with your actions!

10 A wife of noble character who can find? 
    She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
    and lacks nothing of value. 
12 She brings him good, not harm,
    all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
    and works with eager hands. 

15 She gets up while it is still night;
 
17 She sets about her work vigorously;

    her arms are strong for her tasks.

22 She makes coverings for her bed;
    she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
    where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.

25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
    she can laugh at the days to come.

27 She watches over the affairs of her household
    and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
    her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
    but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
    but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
    and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

Grace and Peace to you all in Jesus Christ.
Until we write again,
Karis

4 comments:

  1. Can I just say something? I love the way you write. For example, you always write with a purpose, and it's always to benefit others. Not only has it helped you, but it's bound to help others too. Yeah so basically you're my hero. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad I've encouraged you. However, I must admit I am very surprised to have such a compliment! Your room is my ideal for the clean organized area a girl longs for. As I was writing this, I was feeling embarrassed that you would read it. Lol! :D I'm not good at expressing myself when I'm talking, but I'm glad that you can understand the babble coming from my fingertips!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the shout out!

    I love that last picture! Is it a screenshot from the movie 'That Hamilton Woman'?

    Marli Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, for sure!

      I'm not sure... I think that it's a picture from or based off of the book "Can You Forgive Her?", a novel by Anthony Trollope from 1864!

      Delete